Stay In UK


The UK offers international citizens a flexible environment to stay and earn their living.

There’s a wide variety of safe and modern accommodation on offer for students in the UK. Most universities and colleges have their own dedicated accommodation teams that will help you find the right type of living environment to suit your needs.

Many universities and colleges have halls of residence that are on-site or nearby. If you prefer to rent your own private accommodation, your university or college
accommodation office can usually help you. It’s worth getting in touch with them
when you receive your offer to find out what your options are and what deadlines you need to be aware of.

Even in shared living accommodation, students usually have a bedroom to
themselves, and sometimes an en-suite bathroom.

To help you start planning, the main types of accommodation are outlined below.

University-Owned Accommodation

Most UK universities offer places for new students in their own university-specific halls of residence. Accommodation in halls can vary from single rooms with shared kitchen and living areas, to self-contained studios.

You can often choose from catered halls (with a dining room where you can either buy cheap meals or have the cost of all meals included in your rent) or self-catered halls (with shared kitchens where you can cook your own food), depending on your

Halls provide a safe and comfortable home-away-from-home that are good value for money, with services like wifi and contents insurance included in the cost of your rent.

Most halls welcome students of all genders, but there are usually also single-sex options available too, for example, designated corridors or shared flats.

In bigger cities, such as London, you can also opt for  intercollegiate halls of residence which allow students from different colleges within the University of London, for example, to live together.

Before signing up to a contract with university halls, make sure you know exactly how long it is for and what the conditions are. For example, check whether your contract will cover staying in your accommodation over the holidays.

Private Luxury Student Accommodation

Many UK cities now have private luxury developments built for students. Accommodation ranges from private self-contained studios to apartments. Fully furnished and equipped with designer fixtures and fittings, you can expect cinema
rooms, 24-hour security, on-site gyms and round-the-clock concierge services.

It’s worth considering that, as private luxury student developments are not affiliated with particular universities or course providers, it’s very likely that you will be living with people who study at different institutions than you.

Homestay Accommodation

A homestay – where you live with a UK family in their home – can be a great opportunity to experience UK culture first-hand. Your university may be able to help you arrange this, or you can contact one of the homestay agencies registered with
the British Council.

Private Rented Accommodation

In the UK, it’s common for undergraduate students to live in halls of residence in their first year, then move into private rented accommodation from the second year of their studies onwards.

If you choose to live in private rented accommodation, it will give you a taste of life beyond campus, and the option to choose who you live with. It also gives you more flexibility in choosing where to live.

Most private student accommodation is already furnished, but you may need to provide your own items such as kitchen utensils and bedding. You’ll also need to factor in the costs for travel to your university, utilities, wifi, contents insurance and a
TV licence.  It’s worth knowing that as a full-time student in the UK, you do not have to pay council tax.

If you can, it’s worth viewing the properties you are looking at before signing a contract and making sure that it will cover the whole time that you will be in the UK.

When To Apply

You may be wondering when you should start looking for somewhere to live. This depends on what type of accommodation you want, but you should start thinking about your options as soon as you accept your offer from your university.

Some of the more popular halls of residence will fill up quickly, so if you have a preference for university-owned accommodation, it’s worth signing up for it as soon as possible. Take note of any guidance or deadlines set by your university.

There will always be options available to you if you make your decision to study in the UK at the last minute. You can search for private rented accommodation that starts at a time that suits you, but remember that if you give yourself more time to
look, you’ll have more flexibility to choose somewhere that’s right for you.

Reach out to your university directly for support in finding somewhere to live.

Other Types of Visa

Visitor Route

If you’re studying in the UK at an accredited institution for less than six months, you can do this as a visitor. Many students (including those from the European Union and other eligible countries) won’t need a visa for courses lasting less than six

Students from some countries will need to apply for a standard visitor visa to do a short course in the UK. Check if you need a visa to study in the UK.

If someone you know is coming to visit you on holiday to the UK, they may need to apply for a visitor visa. Find out more about a visitor visa.

Short-term Student Route

Short-term student visas are available to students who want to study English language courses that are between six and 11 months long. Find out more about the short-term study visa.

Child Student Route

If you’re aged between four and 17 years old, you can apply for a child student visa to study at a school in the UK. Find out more about child study visas.

Parent of a Child Student visa

You can only apply for a Parent of a Child Student visa if your child has or is applying for a Child Student visa. Or if they currently have a Tier 4 (Child) visa.

Your child must be aged between 4 and 11 when you apply, and be attending an independent school in the UK.

You must also:

How long you can stay?

You can stay in the UK until your child’s visa expires or they turn 12, whichever happens first. You can extend your visa while in the UK as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

If you leave the UK

If your child is staying in education in the UK without you, you must make arrangements for their ongoing care. For example, if your child turns 12 and their visa is still valid, they may be able to start boarding at their current school, or live with other family members in the UK.

You cannot: